Dyna Lightning

A little more done on this project. I got the donor car today

I started making the lower chassis plate. I used 2mm CF plate. I’m not sure if this will be the one I have on the car in the end, I think I will get one CNC just to be more correct. I started with printing the layout on a paper which I used tape to keep it in place on the CF plate. I then took a knife and cut out different holes. I then used a drill to make the holes for all the screws. Next step was to use the dremel to cut out as much as possible. I now need to do the final work to finish it.

I’m getting some help from the fantastic people on TamiyaClub to design the missing parts. Jonboy1 is helping me replicating the upper to lower deck, I gave him a picture of it and some measurements from the Dyna Storm and the Nimrod lower deck design and he came up with this.

In addition to the upper to lower deck, Colin at TamiyaClub is helping out making the very special airintake for the motor. Here is his progress this far, next is to figure out how to get the air to flow correct inside to make the air colder.


So Tom/ Collin, from TamiyaClub, worked all Christmas (2019) making the airscoop and I did testprints and tried it on my dyna Storm. We got almost there, but we found out that protyping is best to do in one place. So Tom got himself a 3D printer and perfected the airscoop to fit the Dyna Storm.

Some pictures of different prototyp’s fitted on the donor.

Pictures of the final version mounted on the car will be in a later post.

If you want to get your own airscoop check out Tom’s ebay listing, he might have one for sale.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/aciduno/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I also tried to print the upper deck that JonBoy1 is helping me with, but since my printer is pretty small i had to get it cut into 2 pices and got the edges shaved. So i glued it togheter, so looking forward to test it on the chassis once it’s done.

And a little testfit onto the chassis plate. well i couldn’t really tell if it fits or not. but it looks cool

I have also been working on the lower deck and it’s mainly done now, but it will need some adjustments as I start to mount parts to it.


(12.04.20) Started to test fit the parts that should be mounted to the lower chassis deck. As i mention in my last post, i would be needing to work some more on the deck as I started mounting parts. It was quite allot of work that was needed to get the parts to fit. I had to make a bigger hole for the gearbox fit, and i had to some work in the front to make the front bumper to fit. Unfortuanlly i didn’t take any photos as i went along, but here I mocked-up the parts and my prototype upper deck.

It should just be to start to build now, hopfully it want be to long before i get some time to do so.


(13.04.20) Got some more buildtime today.

Time to bring out the manual, since this is the first time i build a Dyna Storm, ohhh, Dyna Lightning.

Since there is quite a differance from the original step the first step was pretty easy. Well thet is not quite true, i had to countersunk the screwholes correct in order for the screws to straight.

I guess the trained eye can see by just mounting the front bumper and two screws i actually did a mistake 😋.

There you go, mistake fixed 🙂 . Since the first thing you do is building the steering i will be needing sommer of these turnbuckles. I have been getting them all in titanium, but i had problems finding them all in regular metall colour. I haven’t decided yet but what i just might do is to strip the colour of the blue one’s to make the stand out less.

Already now i had to start getting parts from the donor car as i was missing noen balljoint.

I guess it’s not that easy to see but i’m using the the TR-15t reinforced plastic parts.

More parts had to be taken off the donor car as i didn’t have the metall «tubes» that holds the steering in place

And mounted to the chassis

Next step is the turnbuckles and uprights. I thought that I could use the reinforced F103 Uprights but it turns out that they don’t fit that well.

So then I had to get the one’s from the donor car. These I will have to change to new one’s and if possible some reinforced one’s.

Nest is to start mounting the front shock tower, this will set me back a bit, as I must make the carbon fibre one and there is a small difference to it compared to the original as it has 6 holes to mount the dampers in as the original have 5.

Oh, I just saw now that in this manual the original only have 3 holes, but the damper tower I took from the donor car has 5.

So i drew the outlines for the new damper tower so then I just need to do some cutting.

Since I’m not able to do this right now I will continue to mount the parts that I can.

And again, more parts to get from the donor car. I need the brass inserts and the rods.

Starting to take shape now 🙂

This was as far as I got this time. Really satisfying to see it all starts to get togheter. I know that there is a way to go still. As making the damper towers take some time, and in addition the upper deck will be a challenge since I don’t have a big enough 3D printer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *